10 Top Tips on How to Survive Christmas
1.Cut back on starchy carbs – Cut out cereals and bread and have eggs for breakfast and salads for lunch. Focus on lean proteins and fibrous vegetables. Drink plenty of water to keep you fuller and save your calories for those after work drinks and dinners!
2. Don’t tell everyone you’re only eating healthy food. If you draw attention to it people will only try and lead you astray or your host may feel put out if they have put a lot of time & effort into preparing food.
3.When dining out skip the bread basket, chips, and pasta and save your carbs for the wine or desert! Opt for salads or soups for starters, ask for extra vegetables in place of starchy carbs and sauces to be put on the side.
4. Christmas dinner fill your plate with vegetables first, then turkey leaving only a small space for the roasties.
5.Never arrive at a party hungry! Eat frequently to avoid excessive hunger. By eating every 2-4 hours, including some protein sources (e.g. fruit with nuts or yoghurt) means your blood sugar levels are balanced making it easier to leave the tin of chocolates alone!
6. Always keep a drink in your hand at parties – its a great way to keep friends and family from getting you another one. Also have a glass of water between drinks.
7. Step away from the table at parties to avoid the semi conscious munching from the buffet while chatting with friends and relatives. If you move your conversation across the room, or into another room, you’ll eat less.
8. Eat Nuts such as almonds as they are packed with vitamins and minerals and are a great source of protein and heart-healthy fats, and best of all they’re filling. Just avoid the candied and honey-roasted varieties as they are loaded with salt and sugar and eat them one at a time, not by the handful.
9.Go for a walk outside. It can help lower stress levels, which are typically high this time of year. It will also increases your appetite and help burn fat. Plus vitamin D stimulated in the body from sun exposure has been proven to help curb cravings and decrease low mood.
10. If you don’t get chance to go and exercise then just keep moving. Try walking around while on the phone, getting up out of the chair and taking more water breaks to help burn up those extra calories.